Teacher Aide Professional Learning
We now offer relevant, high quality, culturally responsive PLD to support Kaiāwhina Teacher Aides in their role.
Upholding and increasing the mana of Kaiāwhina Teacher Aides
Kaiāwhina Teacher Aides in Aotearoa New Zealand play a vital role in schools by supporting students’ learning and wellbeing. With the right training and support, they can significantly enhance outcomes for all ākonga.
We now offer relevant, high quality, culturally responsive PLD to support Kaiāwhina Teacher Aides in their role. We have partnered with Whāraurau and Kohia Centre, leveraging our combined capabilities and experience in education and wellbeing, to deliver PLD aligned with the skills and competencies needed to be effective in this role.
Meet our kaiwhakaruruhau facilitators
Funding application process
- Check that you meet the criteria for Kaiāwhina Teacher Aide PLDs.
- Discuss the PLD you're interested in with your supervisor to ensure it meets the criteria for any competency area. You will need to seek approval from your tumuaki principal or supervisor.
- Set up an Educational Sector Logon (ESL) and fill in the application form. You will need:
- the email address of the person approving your PLD
- your Ministry employee number and your school number (this can be found on your pay slip)
- Apply for the funding for your PLD through the online form. You will have the option to choose from the following application type:
- Set Category
- Open Category
- Self-directed Inquiry
- The Ministry of Education will receive and and process your application.
- When your application is approved, you and your approver will receive notification of approval. Approvers will be asked to contact the Ministry if they do not endorse the original application.
- Upon receipt of approval notification, you can contact us (the PLD provider) to enrol in the PLD. You will need to supply us with:
- your application reference number as confirmation of your funding AND
- a copy of your application approval confirmation email
- Once your PLD has been completed, your school or kura will be reimbursed for your attendance time (wage costs) and any travel and accommodation costs they have incurred for you as recorded in your application.
Explore our upcoming courses & workshops
Supporting Students from Different Language Backgrounds
Focused on the Learning Languages area of the NZ curriculum, Kaiāwhina /Teacher Aides / Learning Assistants gain deep understanding of how languages progress as well as the ways they can support students even if they do not speak the language.
Talk, Think, Read, Write: Practical Strategies for Supporting Early Literacy
This course will help Kaiāwhina / Teacher Aides / Learning Assistants to use the language, identity and culture of ākonga to support their strengths and needs in talking, reading and writing.
Please try using other filters
No result found
Poipoia te pā harakeke
He puāwaitanga anamata
Through nurturing learners, educators, leaders and communities, our future will flourish.